Friday, January 11, 2013

Chris Christie is no Abe Lincoln

One day last week my boss asks:  "What do you think of Chris Christie?"  Because I like my boss and my job, I decided this was no time for radical honesty.
"I saw him on The Daily Show," I replied.  "Though he is known for his temper, he can be funny."  I left it at that.
It was his angry outburst about Congressional Republicans that caused my boss to ask the question.  And one of my co-workers who was with us said, "he has my vote in 2016."
While we are all angry at Congress (and most of the folks who read this understand that the conservatives in Congress are the problem), it seems that Christie's much-publicized rant made him appealing to many.
I can only hope it is the same popularity that Sarah Palin and Herman Cain experienced;  that is is based on surface appearances and will be fleeting.
Because, while Republicans have acted disgracefully regarding Hurricane Sandy relief, it is no more disgraceful than their actions were during the health care debate--and not nearly as disgraceful as their actions have been and continue to be around the debt ceiling and possible default.
Of course Governor Christie has not chastised them for their willingness to trigger a global economic meltdown.  Nope.  The government is profligate when it comes to keeping promises to the elderly, retired public servants, and maintaining our national parks.
I tried to think why the selective outrage by Christie bothers me.  The effort made me think of the way "Lincoln" portrayed our 16th president.  He was genial, sometimes almost corny at a time of immense frustration with Congress.  In the movie, his outrage flashed only when he realized that Congress was opposed to formal recognition of basic protections for the nation's most vulnerable citizens.
That should produce outrage.  But Governor Christie and his entire party were not only not outraged but actively pursued a position parallel to that which caused Lincoln's anger: voter suppression during the last election.  So while many see Christie sharing their anger at our dysfunctional legislative branch, I have a different answer for "what do you think of Chris Christie?"
The governor of New Jersey is angry for the wrong reasons.  His anger is too selective.  He may be the GOP nominee in 2016, but he is definitely no Abe Lincoln.

No comments:

Post a Comment